Who is Prabhakar Raghavan and why is he accused of killing Google Search?

emorphy

Staff
It's not your imagination: Google Search has gotten progressively worse over the years and at least one study confirms it. But until now most of us believed this was due to some corporate strategy hatched in a room full of executives. Not so, writes Edward Zitron, pointing the finger at Prabhakar Raghavan, current senior VP at Google, responsible for Search, Assistant, Ads, and a few other divisions. Formerly, in charge of Yahoo Search in the 2000s. Ouch.

A study earlier this year by German academics verified what many users of Google search had long suspected: the search engine, once the gold standard for such activities, had been getting worse. The reason, the researchers concluded, is that too much low-quality content was being optimized to appear higher in search results than information of higher caliber. This was due to popular online marketing strategies such as affiliate marketing, which incentivizes the mass production of such content to maximize clicks.

The study, which came from Leipzig University, Bauhaus-University Weimar, and the Center for Scalable Data Analytics and Artificial Intelligence, also analyzed results from the Bing and DuckDuckGo search engines, noting that Google performed better than its counterparts in several key areas.

Given its outsized presence in the search engine space, though, the findings about Google were significant.

What the study did not do was identify a particular culprit responsible for Google Search's decline. More recently, Edward Zitron in his newsletter article, titled "The Man Who Killed Google Search" took care of that in no uncertain terms. He identified that man as Prabhakar Raghavan, the senior vice president responsible for Search, Assistant, Geo, Ads, Commerce, and Payments products. Zitron, though, describes him as "a computer scientist class traitor who sided with the management consultancy sect."

Zitron starts his story in 2019 when Google's ads team raised an alarm about the declining search revenue growth. In emails that were eventually released as part of the Department of Justice's antitrust case against Google, Jerry Dischler, then the VP and General Manager of Ads at Google, noted that search query growth was "significantly behind forecast," the "timing" of revenue launches was significantly behind, and he expressed a vague worry that "several advertiser-specific and sector weaknesses" existed in search.

What followed next was a corporate battle between the ads team, led by Raghavan, and the search team led by Ben Gomes, whom Zitron calls a hero, albeit one that was ultimately defeated.

The ads team was not interested in maintaining search quality and pushed to prioritize growth metrics. Gomes argued on behalf of the user experience and charged that "growth is all that Google was thinking about."

Raghavan won the philosophical argument and a little over a year later became the head of Search. After nearly 20 years of building Google Search, Gomes would be relegated to SVP of Education at Google, Zitron wrote. "Gomes, who was a critical part of the original team that made Google Search work, who has been credited with establishing the culture of the world's largest and most important search engine, was chased out by growth-hungry managerial types led by Prabhakar Raghavan, a management consultant wearing an engineer costume."

The Justice Department emails provide even more detail about this narrative arc, and Zitron urges readers to look them up. They "tell a dramatic story about how Google's finance and advertising teams, led by Raghavan with the blessing of CEO Sundar Pichai, actively worked to make Google worse to make the company more money."

Permalink to story:

To be fair (When its perhaps not necessary to be so) there was basically no way to keep google search an efficient search tool while making it a viable business.

This is why I submit that search engines (And yes: even social media sites) should be run as non-profit: think Wikipedia but for overall search engine function and you know, actually funded by people who directly benefit like advertisers and companies while remaining 100% neutral.

So if we are to re-think the internet it has to start not from a technical standpoint but from a more cooperative mindframe for once instead of a venture capitalist one.

Last night, I wanted to search for a "controversial" query, for a lack of a better term. In the past one would have to scroll to the bottom of the Google page, and select say page 10+, but they completely removed that ability, by making search results pages into an endless scroll. The same with certain types of YouTube video. I never thought about this before, but I was very annoyed, because it essentially stopped me from seeing, say a counterargument. It felt like censorship.

Last night, I wanted to search for a "controversial" query, for a lack of a better term. In the past one would have to scroll to the bottom of the Google page, and select say page 10+, but they completely removed that ability, by making search results pages into an endless scroll. The same with certain types of YouTube video. I never thought about this before, but I was very annoyed, because it essentially stopped me from seeing, say a counterargument. It felt like censorship.
That has been true for a very long time now.
I find it extremely difficult to scour for information that Google does not want you to see.

I'm still using Google to search everything, mainly because I got used to the Google word and color beside the search bar and the layout and familiarity.

(Talking about familiarity, during those early days of the internet, I was using Altavista - which was introduced by my best friend who started going online before me. Then I started using Yahoo! Search and I was using lots of Yahoo services those days - myYahoo!, Y! messenger, etc.)

I'm using Ublock Origin ad blocker with many filters, and I don't see google ads or sponsored results.

But I don't mind changing to another search, based on recommendations.

What do you people use as a search engine nowadays?

Last edited:
I still use google but I know the search result has been trash for the better part of this decade.

if you don't know what you're looking for, then you will be directed to the shady websites or ads. mind you I discovered this very site in 2006 because I was troubleshooting something, had I search the same keyword now I won't be redirected here for sure.

so I guess 2 decades ago bulletin board or forums were really popular and search indexed by google. when I have a question and put them in google a lot of human-generated results would come out. as time passes a lot of those sites are gone or dead so they indexed something else. if I put the same question in google now, I would be served with ads or AI content instead.

it also doesn't help that the newer generation only put up all of their life in social media, that is not indexed. say a new restaurant pops up in the city last month and you wanna look at the reviews. great let's check out google maps, but it says there's only 10 review of it. you probably had to go to instagram and manually search for the tags to be able to get more reviews.

Google really needs to up it's game, with LLM front loaded searches coming

So obvious , google search , spell check , ask google, ask alexa , whatever were getting more stupid, that takes server resources and money.

I mean sad that to use it in any meaningful way you would need to become a power user. Ie know how to do the proper prompts = wonder if that even works

If I want a more indepth - with ask a LLM first, then use things that it seems to be quoting, to get the LLMs source

Aren't publishers of "SEO" (search engine optimization) software at least partially responsible for this phenomenon?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Mr."howdoyoupronouncethat", is at least 90%+ to blame.

Google has NEVER been known for putting the user experience at the top of their priorities. If it doesn't make them lots of money, they won't adopt it ..... plain and simple.

Why can't those of us that pay for any tier of a Google 1 subscription get actual proper search results instead of the nerfed ad revenue/ Reddit results that float to the top?

When I was working in IT-Services like 10 years ago, I realized that a growing number of shadow websites emerged, that generated tons of fake content. Usually the content was randomized from existing content and thousands (!) of websites were used to fake a relevance and hence generate a page rank for the "main" site. This was even worse, when GTLD hit and a new level of fake content was reached.

It seems that Google lost the "war" due to mis-management and I also could see a declining quality of results, as seo-websites outperformed quality content.

I tried DuckDuckGo for the past day and it is at least as good as Google.

From the roughly 3000 websites I carry online, approx 11 to 15 where "hit" due to recent "AI Core update" followed back in march.

For no reason, sites with good traffic, completely tanked, and all we get is "Look through your content" blabla while the content is unique, handwritten and what more. It's basicly one business who's pretty much out of work due to this "new and fantastic" google AI update.

Google turned to ****. They are pushing for years ads ads and more ads.

I've been on the internet since 93. Google search failed somewhere around 2004 to 2005. While it certainly may seem to have dropped off a cliff after 2018 it was going downhill a long time before then.

I've been using the duck, bing, and various AI search tools. About the only time I find myself using Google is when it's on my phone.

It's one thing to say that search has to be done in a way to make a profit off of it and another thing that your first 10 results are absolutely useless to you.

Back in the day Google wasn't becoming number one and search because you had to dig through all the results

I've been using Brave Search as of late. I still use Duck Duck Go sometimes and only use Google when absolutely necessary (mostly for image searches).

One reason why I have completely moved from Google to Ecosia. Google kept coming up with crappy and non topical results. Could not even understand the basic and / or kind of functions. It felt like I was talking to an *****.

It is censored now!🤬🤬

I still use google but I know the search result has been trash for the better part of this decade.

if you don't know what you're looking for, then you will be directed to the shady websites or ads. mind you I discovered this very site in 2006 because I was troubleshooting something, had I search the same keyword now I won't be redirected here for sure.

so I guess 2 decades ago bulletin board or forums were really popular and search indexed by google. when I have a question and put them in google a lot of human-generated results would come out. as time passes a lot of those sites are gone or dead so they indexed something else. if I put the same question in google now, I would be served with ads or AI content instead.

it also doesn't help that the newer generation only put up all of their life in social media, that is not indexed. say a new restaurant pops up in the city last month and you wanna look at the reviews. great let's check out google maps, but it says there's only 10 review of it. you probably had to go to instagram and manually search for the tags to be able to get more reviews.
Search use to find information in forums but not anymore! 🤬 Back in the 90's when I was learning how to work on computers you could find anything but not anymore!!🤬

Back